It may be easy to become overwhelmed by all of the things that could go wrong around your house. However, if you tactfully and systematically check for necessary home repairs from time to time, and stay aware of them, then your home should be in tip-top shape.
- Loose/Wobbly Handles or Hinges on Doors, Furniture, & Cabinets: Usually the screw just needs tightening.
- Loose/Wobbly Toilet Paper Holder or Towel Rack
- Squeaky Door Hinges: Squirt W-D 40 in them
- Squeaky Floor Boards
- Rusty Valves: Wipe them down with W-D 40
- Blistered/Peeling Paint on Ceilings Above Showers: Start using the bathroom vents if you don’t already. Scrape off the paint and re-paint with an exterior paint
Pay Attention To:
- Clothes Dryer Vent: Disconnect your dryer’s lint pipe from the wall and vacuum lint out of it every now and then.
- Hoses: Check out your dishwasher, ice maker, and washer for any leaks or cracks.
- Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detectors: Replace the batteries in all of them at the same time of year so it’s easier to keep up with.
- Kitchen Stove Exhaust Filter: Wash it ans get rid of the grease every so often
- Electrical Cords: Check them out for damaged plugs or any brittleness.
- Outlets: You’re supposed to test them fairly often, but let’s be honest, who does? Well, you can at least test them sometimes!
- When It Rains: Look at your gutters to make sure they’re not overflowing. Check the direction of where the water is going outside (or if it’s coming inside). Check all around your house for leaks, including your basement, attic, foundation, windows, and doors. home repairs home repairs home repairs